Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Wedding Wednesday: Must Do's After The I Do's

Hello There!

It has now been nearly six months (so crazy!) since I got married and I wanted to share some tips to making sure you get all the little (and big) things done after your Wedding that may otherwise slip to the wayside.  

This graphic created by the US Tax Center at IRS.com has all the basics covered for getting your married life started off right.


My husband and I have done pretty much everything on this list and I found it really helpful to have a list like this in the months after we got married so that you don't forget any important things you should get done.


Memories

I love the idea of journaling to remember everything and I wish I had done more of that before we got married so we had more to look back on, but we do have our pictures.  Speaking of pictures I would add to this that you should work on getting wedding albums done if your photographer doesn't do them for you that way you can preserve your pictures forever in a physical form.
I would also suggest adding both your professional pictures that were taken as well as some fun candids from guests (if there are any) that way your album has a lot of personality.

Before

After

I bought my dress through David's Bridal and we bought the preservation kit through them a that time.  Once I got back from my honeymoon my Mom brought me over the kit so I could get my dress preserved.  I paid for some of the extra options like museum quality storage and to have my veil stored with my dress.  I got it back in no time and my dress is now perfectly cleaned and stored.  The box has a window so you can see the dress and my veil in the box.  I don't know that I will display it ever, but it is nice I can see my dress without having to take it out of any packaging and jeopardizing the preservation.  If you get your dress through David's Bridal or any other bridal shop that offers a preservation kit I would wholeheartedly recommend buying it.

Before
After


Before we went on our honeymoon I hung my bouquet upside down from my shower rod and sprayed the crap out of it with hairspray (a tip I saw online) in an effort to preserve my bouquet.  I would recommend getting this professionaly done and not d.i.y.ing it, but it came out okay.

Our venue invites us back for our anniversary and bakes a small replica of our wedding cake so we didn't have to freeze the top layer.  I would recommend just getting a small version of your cake made on your anniversary instead of having to try to eat gross freezer cake.  We ended up eating what we could of the top of our cake before we went on our honeymoon.


Taxes, Finances, & Legal

We're still figuring out how we will file our taxes and there are a lot of great resources on the IRS' website to assist with that.  There are so many great articles, but I particularly liked their article about tax tips for newlyweds and another article about how getting married affects your taxes.

Our marriage license only needed to be signed by our officiant.  My cousin officiated and accidentally left our marriage license at home (back in D.C. and we got married in M.A.!) so I would make sure if you have a friend or family member officiating that you remind them before they leave to pack any materials they may need.  

Make sure you get your new name (if you or your spouse are changing names) as soon as possible.  I did this the week or two after we got home from our honeymoon.  I went to social security at an off hour and it was super easy to make the change and I ended up waiting in queue for longer than it took to actually apply to get my new card.  Going to the DMV (pro tip: you cannot do this at AAA) was also pretty easy because I looked up their live queue online and went at an odd hour.  My biggest recommendation with both of these is to make sure you have everything you need before you go and to go at odd times so you don't have to wait a long time.

We slowly over the two or three months after getting married updated everything else.  We made sure to update our employers and financial accounts first once I had changed my SSN and driver's license.   When I went to get my driver's license done that also updated my voters registration so that made it super easy.  I haven't done my passport yet, but that is next on my list.
Also, make sure you update the post office and any other accounts that you have things shipped to you regularly from (ie: subscriptions like magazines or beauty boxes).


Gratitude

Designed on Minted

We ordered our thank you's from the same site we got our other wedding stationary because we loved working with their site and their designs.  We sent out thank you's out to everyone no later than 1 month from our Wedding date.  I wrote them out a few every night for a week until they were all done.  I made sure to make all the thank you's personal, but they all had a formula so that I wouldn't forget what I wanted to say (there are so many tips online if you need help figuring out what to write).  I checked our thank you's against the cards we had received to make sure we didn't miss anyone.

A scene from our Wedding night.  We ate cake, read cards in bed, and passed out.

We didn't need to return any unwanted or duplicate gifts, but we did need to put things away (our living room was a nightmare of clutter filled with all of our stuff from the wedding we just dumped before we left for our honeymoon).  We did spend sometime cleaning up and getting everything into its spot.  Any monetary gifts we brought to my in-laws while we were on our honeymoon (we couldn't get to a bank before we left) so they could lock it up in their safe.   We didn't have to worry about having tons of cash and checks just lying around unsupervised at our house and could enjoy our honeymoon.  As soon as we got back we brought it all to the bank to deposit it in our savings account.  I would say as a courtesy to guests, especially those that wrote checks, you should deposit money a.s.a.p.

We wrote reviews for our vendors online (typically on weddingwire) within two to three months of having our wedding.  It helps out other couples when they are searching for vendors for their own weddings.

I hope you found this helpful and that it gives you some things to think about before your wedding and some direction for what to do after.  

If you have any tips or tricks leave them below in the comments section.

Until next time,



disclaimer:  I was asked by The Tax Center to talk about this graphic and share it with my readers.  I was not provided compensation to talk about this; I just found it very helpful.  All thoughts/comments/whathaveyou are 100% my own.