Thursday, May 28, 2015

Current Favorites: May Edition

Hello There!

There have been a few things I have been using and wearing over and over the past month or two.
I've also been doing a lot of reading lately.  For a time after I read a book there would be quite a time lapse before I'd pick up another one, but now I'm on a roll, as soon as I finish one book I'm already diving into the next one.

For my makeup favorites check our my Face Lately post.


From the top and counter clockwise.
The hat is a Boston Athletic Association hat (similar) from this year's Boston Marathon.  It is a beautiful cobalt blue with yellow stitching.  A family friend and my Wedding photographer ran the Marathon so it was especially important to show my support this year.

The lobster iPhone 5 case is an old one from Tory Burch (impractical or practical lobster options, love this one), but it is one that I constantly go back to.  I plan to get the iPhone 6 soon so I'm trying to get as much use out of it as possible.

I got the Produce candle in Rhubarb in my April PopSugar box and I've been so obsessed with it that I bought a new one.  This has lasted forever and the scent is slightly sweet and slightly tart.

I've been wearing this star scarf on repeat.  It's a light beige-gray with navy stars.  I love that it is lightweight enough that it doesn't overheat me, but large enough that it can keep me warm in my air conditioned office.  I bought this two years ago at the 9/11 Memorial Museum's shop when I visited the memorial with my Mom and soon-to-be Mother-in-law, Lin.

The earrings are from BaubleBar (similar and love these) in a set awhile ago and I just love them.  They add a statement without having to be dangly and instantly pull any outfit together.  Ladylike, but with an edge.

I finished reading The Knockoff* by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza last month.
The book was so good that I just didn't want to put it down.  
Per Amazon, "An outrageously stylish, wickedly funny novel of fashion in the digital age, The Knockoff is the story of Imogen Tate, editor in chief of Glossy magazine, who finds her twentysomething former assistant Eve Morton plotting to knock Imogen off her pedestal, take over her job, and reduce the magazine, famous for its lavish 768-page September issue, into an app".   At times the story was a bit predictable, but the characters were interesting and the story moved at a great pace that I didn't mind.  I don't want to ruin the story for anyone, but I will say that if you liked The Devil Wear's Prada and you need a book to read that has a story that will sink you into its world then this is just the book for you. 


Now for an unexpected un-favorite.  I bought a pair of Toms shoes because I was thinking about using a pair of the plain canvas ones to have them painted for my Wedding shoes.  
I have wide feet and tend to be a 9.5.  I went to a store that carries them and tried on a 9, but couldn't even get my toes in it.  I tried the 9.5 and ended up getting them because everything I've read insisted that they get so comfortable and stretch to your feet after a week.
These things didn't stretch enough over a week and left indents into my feet because they were tight.  They did fit okay in my heel area, but my toes and toe box were so painful I just couldn't put my feet through it anymore.
These would work so much better for someone with normal or narrow width feet, but for my wide feet and high arch they were so uncomfortable I couldn't wear them.

For my Wedding shoes I ended up going with white Keds.  Once they're all painted and I have them back I'll definitely take pictures and show you all!


And to end on a high note here is my kitty who is always a favorite every day.

What were your favorites this month or maybe over the past few months?

Until Next Time,

disclaimer: All products I did not purchase for myself are marked with an *.  The Knockoff was won in a BirchBloggers giveaway to get an exclusive first read of the book. I was provided the items to honestly review.  All thoughts/comments/whathaveyou are 100% my own