Wednesday, March 12, 2014

D.I.Y.: Custom Tray

I was feeling crafty so I went to Target and got a few supplies to make a custom tray for my vanity.

The Supplies:
You don't need these, but they do help so your furniture does not get scratched and so that the frame does not move around.  I found these in the home wares aisle at Target near the command strips.  These have all different sizes so I thought this would be the most handy.  I used the ones in the bottom right of the package for my frame.

You will also need some sort of paper to use as your background.  I found these sheets in the dollar section at Target.  You could also use wrapping paper, make a collage of your favorite pictures that is the size of your frame, use tissue paper, etc.  I also picked up some lettering (again from the dollar section) in case I decided to write out a quote onto the paper.

You will need scissors to cut your paper!

You will also need a frame.  Pick out any frame you like and any size.  There are no rules when it comes to choosing your frame.  I chose a shadow box frame because it did not have a frame support that I would have to rip off (if yours has the little frame support then just rip that off so your frame will sit level).
Also, if you don't like the color of your frame pick up some spray paint or acrylic paint and change it!

The Steps:
Go ahead and pick out the best grippers for your frame and stick them on!

Take your paper and trim it to the size of the frame (mine was actually a tad too short so I trimmed what I needed and then added an extra strip to the end, you cannot even tell!).
Once you have the paper background all done then go ahead and either leave it just as it is or decorate it.  I had this cute card so I cut the front off and taped it onto the background.

Put the paper in and slide your glass back into your frame and tah-dah!  You're done!  Now put it on your vanity and put your favorite bits on display.

If you prefer you could just decorate the paper and put it up on your vanity instead or using it as a tray.  Whatever you please!

Alrighty, that's pretty much it.  Super customize-able decoration that took no time at all and ended up being so cute.  Plus you can change out the background per the season or your mood!

I hope you enjoyed this do it yourself tutorial!


disclaimer: I am not sponsored by any of the company's whose products I am reviewing/mentioning here.  All thoughts/comments/whathaveyou are my own.